Before giving you the recipe I gotta tell you… My Italian food experience is very much limited to Pizza Hut & pastas from some Italian restaurants here. I havent gone through any Italian cookbook yet. But I guess if reading Elizabeth Gilbert’s Italian food experience in Eat, Pray, Love can be considered equivalent to tasting some authentic Italian dishes, then I fit the bill ;) I dont cook pasta much at home. We used to have it somewhat regularly from outside. Now that we are trying (I just said trying) to reduce eating out, I cook it once in a while.
So here’s my version of Chicken Pasta. You can use this recipe as a guideline and play with it to make as per your taste. I sometimes add Cajun seasoning or Sambal Oelek in the pasta, just to flavor it up. If you like your pasta to be flavorful and spicy, try it.
Here you go….
- Pasta – 1.5 cups (I used penne pasta)
- Cooked chicken – ½ – ¾ cup, cut into bite size cubes (refer notes)
- Capsicum – 1 small, cut into cubes
- Garlic – 1 tbsp, grated
- Rosemary, Thyme & Oregano – a pinch each
- Olive oil
- Butter – 30 gms/ 2 tbsp approx
- Plain flour – 2 tbsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Chicken stock – ⅓ cup (refer notes)
- Salt & pepper – to taste
- Cook pasta as per package instructions. Keep it aside. Heat Olive oil in a pan & add grated garlic, fry it for 2 mins or so. Add cubed capsicum & salt till it becomes tender. Add Rosemary, Thyme & Oregano & give a stir. Add cooked chicken & Pasta. Mix well. Add the white sauce, combine it. Serve hot.
- White Sauce Preparation
- Heat butter in a pan. When it melts, add plain flour. Stir for 4-5 mins, when it starts changing colour add milk. Cook till it starts to thicken. Add chicken stock, salt & pepper & cook for 2-3 mins. Remove from fire.