I was reading a book the other day. In that, the author mentions about a chinese saying “frog in the bottom of a well” (just like the Malayalam saying “pottakinattile thavala”). The frog looks up and sees only a single circle of the sky; he thinks he sees clearly, but “he doesnt know how big the outside world really is”. Sounds familiar? Sometimes I feel, I’m like that frog. I’m stuck in my own little world, thinking that this small circle constitutes the whole world, comfortably resting on my familiar environment. I agree, at times this helps.. but the longer you stay in the bottom of the well, chances are you get stuck there!
Though I’m not a resolution kind of person, this new year, I wanted to do something to expand the horizon of my little world. There is something in particular.. I want to read more about food, different kinds of cooking, different techniques of cooking, learn about new ingredients and those kinda things.. May be, then I’ll also be able to come up with something like this, what say ;)?
That reminds me… do you believe in taking new year resolutions? Are you able to keep up with them? So.. what is your resolution for 2013? Please dont tell me, your resolution is to stay away from food blogs ;)
Coming back to the recipe, as I said, it’s a very easy one with minimal effort and to top it up, it’s a good looking dessert ;) So shall we go and whip this up?
Step by step picture follows..
Melt butter in heavy small skillet/saucepan. Once it is melted, add sugar…
Stir until bubbling, about 1 min. Mix in the biscuit crumbs. Stir until colour deepens, about 3 mins. Turn out onto a plate and let it cool completely…
Stir condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon peel in a large bowl to blend…
Fold the whipped cream into the lemon mixture…
Place 1/4 cup of lemon and cream mousse in the serving dish, using a pastry bag. Top each with 1 tbsp crumb mixture, then 1/4 cup of mousse. Top parfait with remaining crumb mixture…
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine
- Unsalted Butter – 3 tbsp / 43 gms
- Sugar – 3 tbsp
- Graham cracker crumbs – ½ cup (I used Digestive biscuit crumbs)
- Condensed milk – 1 tin of 395 gms
- Fresh lemon juice – ½ cup (refer notes)
- Grated lemon peel – 1 tbsp
- Chilled whipping cream – 1 cup
- Melt butter in heavy small skillet/saucepan. Once it is melted, add sugar and stir until bubbling, about 1 min. Mix in the biscuit crumbs. Stir until colour deepens, about 3 mins. Turn out onto a plate and let it cool completely.
- Stir condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon peel in a large bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat whipping cream in a medium bowl until firm peaks form; fold the whipped cream into the lemon mixture.
- Place ¼ cup of lemon and cream mousse in the individual serving dish. Top each with 1 tbsp crumb mixture, then ¼ cup of mousse. Top parfait with remaining crumb mixture. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.