Shall we start the new year with a spicy curry? I was actually confused whether to post something sweet or something spicy. Since the last two posts were in the sweets/dessert category I’m going with the spicy one. I hope you’ll also like it.
Btw, are you still in the spirit of new year? I’m sort of… I’m still going around wishing people happy new year :) That reminds me… did I wish you? Anyways, here it is….
Wish you & your loved ones a wonderful & blessed 2012!
About the recipe… I got it from my aunt’s recipe book. Honestly, I dont know whether this is authentic/traditional Chicken Korma recipe. For all I know, it tasted yum! And that is my biggest criteria! In my perception Korma is something which has a thick gravy. In that way, this curry fitted the bill perfectly and the taste was great too. So here goes the recipe…
- Chicken – ½ kg (cut into med size pieces)
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon – a small piece
- Fennel seeds (perumjeerakam) – ¼ tsp
- Onion – 3 med-big, finely sliced
- Ginger & garlic – 1 tbsp each, crushed/grated
- Chilli powder – 2- 2½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 2½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Pepper powder – ½ – 1 tsp
- Fennel powder – ½ tsp
- Tomato – 1 big, sliced
- Cashew nuts – 6
- Poppy seeds (kashakasha) – 1 tsp (refer notes)
- Grated coconut – 3 tbsp
- Water – 1½ – 2 cups
- Medium thick coconut milk – ½ cup (optional, refer notes)
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Curry leaves
- Soak the cashews & poppy seeds in 2 tbsp hot water.
- Heat oil & add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon & fennel seeds. Add finely sliced onion & cook till it becomes brown colour. Add crushed ginger & garlic. Cook for a few minutes. Add chilli, coriander, turmeric, fennel & pepper powder. Mix well & cook till the raw smell goes, around 2-3 mins. Add sliced tomatoes & give a stir. Add chicken pieces, salt & curry leaves. Mix well. Make sure the chicken pieces are coated with the masala. Add water & cover & cook.
- Grind the soaked cashews & poppy seeds & coconut with enough water to get a smooth paste. Add this paste to the curry when the chicken is almost done. Mix well. Cook for 3-4 mins. Add coconut milk (if using) & combine well. Cook for 2 more mins. Add chopped coriander leaves & remove from fire.
- Serve with pulao, rice, roti, appam etc;