After seeing the picture of the Mocha Chocolate Chips Cupcake in FB, one of my friends, asked whether I have cupcakes n stuff on a daily basis. Its one of those questions that I get asked very often. Because of this blog, most people assume that I cook extravagantly on a daily basis. Let me set the record straight. I like cooking but I dont like slogging in kitchen day in & day out. Given the option (which is once in a while), I prefer to eat out! If by chance you come unannounced to our place, I’ll end up serving you a pile of “Takeaway”-Menus to choose from ;)
Though I like to cook more variety, I or rather we prefer the usual Kerala fare on a daily basis. Mostly when we go for trips, I’ll be all excited to try the different food varieties & eat all exotic dishes. But after two days of the trip, I’ll start craving for some choru (rice) n kachimoru (buttermilk curry) – plain and simple.
Here is the recipe:
- Coconut – 1 cup (If you use freshly scraped coconut, nothing like it)
- Dried red chilli flakes -1-2 tsp (refer notes)
- Small/pearl onions – 4, sliced
- Ginger – ½ tsp, chopped
- Tamarind (valan puli or sambar puli) – size of a small lime (refer notes)
- Coconut Oil
- Curryleaves – 3-5 leaves
- Heat oil in a pan & add small onions, ginger, curry leaves & dried red chilli flakes. Fry for 2-3 minutes, till you get the roasted smell. Add coconut & mix well. Just fry it for a minute or two. DO NOT brown it. Remove from fire & let it cool. Add tamarind & salt to this mix. Ground it in the smallest jar of the mixie. Ideally no water should be added, but I end up adding ½ – 1 tbsp of water. You can serve it with rice,kanji or idli & dosa.